Thursday, April 28, 2005

American Fascism Watch: Chronicling the activities of Democracy's Enemies...

It's only fitting that my previous post on the rise of Fascism in America be followed up by a story that vindicates precisely that point.

An Alabama Lawmaker (my liberal soul shudders just seeing those 2 words side by side) has introduced legislation in his state to -- get this -- ban any books written by or about gays. If frightening thoughts of book-burnings and witch-trials immediately seeped into your consciousness upon reading that, consider yourself a normal, thinking human being.

In addition to those fearful thoughts, I am reminded of the famous, albeit seemingly forgotten, words of the Rev. Martin Niemoller written at the height of the Nazi reign of terror in 1945 Germany:

"First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me."

The "they" of course refers to the fascist Nazis and their evil program to purge German society of "impure" humans --- basically anyone that didn't think, act, believe, look, walk or talk like themselves.

At the rate the fundamentalist right-wing is consolidating power and media control in America these days, I honestly believe that it's just a matter of time before Rev. Niemoller's words will tragically be recast thusly:

"First they came for the Gays, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Gay.

Then they came for the Immigrants, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t an immigrant.


Then they came for the Atheists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn't an Atheist.

Then they came for the debtor poor, and I didn't speak up, because I was fairly comfortable in my middle-class job and lifestyle.

Then they came for the liberals, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't courageous enough to publicly admit I was a liberal.

Then they came to shut down what remained of the Independent media, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't courageous enough to admit I was a consumer and supporter of Independent media.

Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me."


Americans had better start choosing sides pretty damn quickly here.

I sincerely believe it's the expressed intent of these Democracy hating right-wing theocracy nuts to incite a civil war in this country.

They've already laid the groundwork for a calamitous world-wide religious war with their brutish activities in Iraq and Afghanistan, all the while with their war-mongering eyes cast towards Iran and other sovereign mid-east nations.

In the deluded minds of these fundamentalist theocrats, America and the world needs to be destroyed so that they can realize their psychotic, heinous biblical vision of Armageddon, which allows only the true believers (themselves) all to serenely float up into the sky and become holy tchochtkes of their vainglorious, vindictive God. The rest of humanity subsequently gets the torture treatment from their kindly, loving, forgiving deity.

This all starts with whipping the non-thinking people of this country into a super-patriotic, us-against-the world lather. Once their planted seeds of fascism have germinated and began to sprout and they eventually take control of the powers of government the military and the media, what do you think they intend to do with that power??

Think about it. Choose sides. Hope and pray enough of us choose the right side.

----krazee

No comments: