Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday M-Vloggin' . . . With The Kinks!



I really hate having favorite lists of anything. And especially so when it comes to music. There are so many bands and songs that have left lasting impressions on me in my 46 years on this planet it wouldn't be fair to single any one of them out for special recognition. But if I were forced to to do so, I would definitely include this 1970 song by The Kinks - 'Lola'. I think I probably heard it the first time around 1974, 1975 just coming into my teen years. Being that young and ignorant about the wonders and weirdness of the world beyond my midwest upbringing, I really didn't quite understand the lyrical content of this song initially. All I knew was I loved the rock tempo of the song and the great guitar riffs in it. It was only a few years later that I found out it was all about some guy's unwitting, drunken misadventures with a transvestite - lol. While semi-shocking to my senses, the latent discovery of that little tidbit of information didn't put a damper on my love of the song, as a matter of fact I think it actually endeared it even more to me (and no -- I've never had a drunken encounter with a transvestite -lol- best I can recall anyway) . Regardless, it's still a kick-ass tune and The Kinks are still one of the best bands to ever prowl a stage and practice the life-affirming art of music.

Enjoy.

----k

No comments: